Tor vs Vpn is considered to be a very common comparison that is done among the best online security tools that are available in the market today. The two of them have been ruling the market for a long time. They are always preferred over the other options their reputation speaks for the awesome service they provide. However, users always tend to compare them even get confused between them due to the features they have in common.
Therefore, it’s time to break the confusion find out which out of these two is the best should actually be chosen. To make sure we make the right decision, it is important to know how both of them work what are the various advantages disadvantages they have in certain cases.
Tor Vs. VPN – Find Which one is the Best
The security system of Tor is somewhat similar to that of the VPN. The messages that are sent or received under this system are not connected to the internet directly. Rather, they go through the network so that the safety can be taken care of. The company does this by hiding the information of the sender the receiver, which in turn confirms the safety of both. This makes Tor a more trustworthy option as you don’t have to hide your information or put your faith in something you are not sure of. When a potential would try to get into your database, they would get confused due to anonymity that the system provides to you.
Another factor that works in favor of Tor when discussing Tor vs VPN is that there is more than one organization that handles the software connected to your device all the individual networks. This is what helps them to provide anonymity to you.
Tor: Working Procedure
As has been already mentioned, the servers of Tor work with thousands of connections people from all around the world. The system never knows the person who is on the other side what is the content they send around or work on. And since all the data goes through the system instead of passing on directly, anonymity is maintained.
- When a message has to be sent through this system, the software installed on your computer would have to get connected to three servers of Tor. The servers are selected randomly the path is connected.
- The messages are sent to any public server in a way that your message is encrypted two times. The process is repeated when the first server is selected is about to receive the message from your end. Now, the encryption has happened thrice.
- The first server that receives the message is called the Guard node. This node gets the message removes the last layer of encryption. Since there are two more layers, the guard node would not be able to read the original message.
- Now, the message is sent to the middle server which removes the second layer of encryption but even it cannot see the message due to the last layer of encryption. And the message is sent to the exit node.
- Exit node removes the last layer can read the message. However, since the message has traveled through two nodes, the sender stays unknown to the exit node on this step.
- Simply stating, the Guard node would know the sender but wouldn’t know the message. The middle server would know that the message came from the first server would pass it to the exit node. The exit node would know the message but the sender would stay unknown.
Working of VPN:
Also known as Virtual Private Network is a security system that works by hiding the IP address of the sender encrypting the messages that get transferred online. Just like Tor, the information that is passed on from your computer goes through the system is then sent to the destination so that the security of the data persists. This helps in hiding the information of the sender such as the location or the IP address. The receiver would only be able to see a number of messages coming from some server. The messages received would also be encrypted so that the information stays safe.
This helps in saving data from any unwanted intrusion. This comes of great help especially in cases where sensitive content is being passed on has high chances of getting into the wrong hands. The software is quite easy to install in spite of having a very complex process of being produced. This security system does slow down your speed but the difference is of a very small amount.
Although VPN is one of the most preferred security systems, it still has some disadvantages. The device you use for sending messages should be working properly shouldn’t hang in between the process. If this happens, the messages you send could stay unencrypted the security might get compromised.
Tor Vs VPN:
When discussing Tor vs VPN, an important difference that comes to mind is the way the messages are passed on. When a message is sent through the VPN network, the computer’s software forwards the message to the VPN system where it gets encrypted. The encrypted message is sent to the receiver. The receiver’s computer would then decrypt the message make it readable. As far as Tor is concerned, the message has to go through several servers some layers of encryption are provided to the message to hide the identity the content of the message.
The above-mentioned processes tell us a number of factors concerned with Tor vs VPN. Since Tor goes through a long process, the speed of delivery reduces as compared to Vpn. While Tor gives you anonymity, VPN gives you compatibility with most devices. Both of them are easy to install have a reasonable rate in the market.
However, with so many advantages of Vpn over Tor, which includes better protection support system, Vpn should be chosen over Tor in most cases.